Thursday, November 04, 2004

Start Them Young...!

I really and truly enjoy coaching all ages and skill levels. And I believe that a person is never too old to start playing tennis. I've coached senior retirees who started at age 65+ and I've worked with toddlers...

I recommend starting a child at 4 or 5 years old. But it is extremely important to make sure you have a coach who is good with that age group. Not all coaches are created equal...!

I personally love working with young children. And I think that when they are really young a group lesson is the best venue to start with. The kids have the most fun and there are lots of games based progressions I use to facilitate their tennis skills. Games based lessons provide the most enjoyable practices and the players look forward to their tennis time every week when they know they're going to get to 'play' for an hour. And the neat thing is that they improve their skills very quickly in the process. I want to see improvement but I also want to make their tennis experience so much fun that they will never want to quit playing this sport for a lifetime...! Today's featured players are some of my youngest students, Lauren Vail and Brian Auger.

No comments: